Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thoughts...Spurgeon on Suffering and Trials

Charles Spurgeon was an incredible pastor from England. He wrote a well known devotional called Morning and Evening. Here are some thoughts from this morning.

"God had one Son without sin, but not a single child without the rod."

"The idea of strangeness in our trials must be banished at once and for ever, for He who is the Head of all saints, knows by EXPERIENCE the grief which we think so peculiar."

I pray you are encouraged by the ability of Jesus to comfort us in all our sufferings and trials. You are not alone. The lie of isolation, which the enemy wants everyone to believe, is not possible. We are never alone, whether we believe it or not. I pray that you FEEL and KNOW the nearness of God today. I pray that you pray this for others who are feeling alone today. May His goodness be your comfort today.

Love Truth

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I feel like I need to read the second " in context. I feel like that is a bold command for someone to make. For me, to think something peculiar cause a reaction to seek out the meaning and learn from it. How can we learn if we are not curious. I am not sure that is what he is saying here, but I feel like it is okay to think it a strange thing. I think it is strange that God loves us so much that he went through it himself. Now that is not to say that we need to question everything and think it so odd that we begin to loose interest in our progress, but I am not sure I truly agree with it. what do you think, and I taking this out of context.

Sarah said...

so, I just read it again, and I am seeing, "because Christ knows from experience, we shouldnt think our trials are strange." I don't know, I am really strugling with this. God works in our lives through our trials and I don't think that we can truly learn from our trials if we just take it and go and don't take the time to realize that it is weird, how God used "this" in my life, "What does it mean that God would put me through this" and "how can I adjust my life so that God may be glorified?" I don't know man.

lovetruth said...

In the context of what Spurgeon is saying I beleive he is trying to magnify that we are not alone in our trials. One of the main focuses of the enemy is to try and get a person to think "nobody has it as bad as I do"..."who can really understand me?"
The "strangeness" part magnifies more of the part in many humans who have a "mind frame of enttitlement". By this I mean that many look at trials and say to God "How dare You!" The other part that should be looked at is "why shouldn't God?" These are all questions that we need to ask God, so the part of "banishing" is not necessarily a matter of not questioning, but instead is a matter of not thinking we are the first to go through it. In fact, to not inquire from God as to what He is trying to teach us would be sin. Our calls as disciples are to ask, seek, and knock.
Your questions are incredible and I hope this brings more clarity or maybe more things to discuss.
By the way...you and your husband are AMAZING!!!

Sarah said...

I think it was the "idea of strangeness" that set me off. I did need context. Thank you for your enlightenment, and the challenge. By the way, I totally agree with it, as it was written by you. and you and your wife and your son are amazing!