Thursday, August 2, 2007

Tozer on "The Warfare of the Spirit"

I have been challenged greatly the past couple of days from A.W. Tozer's words in his book "The Warfare of the Spirit."

"It is possible within the provisions of redemptive grace to enter into a state of union with Christ so perfect that the world will instinctinvely react toward us exactly as it did toward Him in the days of His flesh.

IT IS A GREAT REPROACH TO US CHRISTIANS THAT WE EXCITE IN THE HEARTS OF THE UNBELIEVING MASSES LITTLE MORE THAN PLAIN BOREDOM. They meet us with smiling toleration ot ignore us altogether, and their silence is a portent and a sign. Well might it cause us nights of tears and hours of prayerful self-examination.

It is the Spirit of Christ in us that will draw Satan's fire. The people of the world will not much care what we believe and they will stare vacantly at our religious forms, but there is one thing they will never forgive us - the presence of God's Spirit in our hearts. They may not know the cause of that strange feeling of antagonism which rises within them, but it will be nonetheless real and dangerous. Satan will never cease to make war on the Man-child, and the soul in which dwells the Spirit of Christ will continue to be the target for his attacks."

Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Doc Bombay said...

"It is possible within the provisions of redemptive grace to enter into a state of union with Christ so perfect that the world will instinctively react toward us exactly as it did toward Him in the days of His flesh."

This quote is outstanding!! This brought joy and unease to my heart at the same time, but I just, today, sent an email to my boy, Kevin Marcum, about how I have really been studying on how to redefine the word 'grace' for myself. Not to change the meaning, but I just think the power of what it is; or what it should be is lost on me somewhat. It seems like it has become almost a bit cliche to me. I have been reading about what a revelation it must have been during Reformation times when it finally struck Luther and others that salvation didn't have to be earned. That the 'grace' of the Gospel was sometimes intended to refer to grace given to God's children...that the word grace wasn't always possessive grace--speaking of God, but grace GIVEN through Christ. It's just amazing to think that there was a period in time where that was a new revelation...and how freeing that must have been. And I think I, and probably many Christians, have heard it so much that I pass over the greatness of that--which is a dirty, dirty shame.
So this series of quotes you've posted here address the effects of what that Grace is in the heart of a Christian. May I see His grace; see His face, and be salt...not a mass. I also posted some Kierkegaard over on mine yesterday that you should check out...it'll make you wanna smack your mama.

On the really real,

~J~