Friday, October 3, 2008

What TItus (our 4 year old son) is Teaching Me...Pt. 1

A couple of weeks ago Titus and I were getting in an elevator and Titus said some profound words. We were the only people on the elevator and Titus throws himself on the ground, looks up at with a smile, and says, "Daddy, I love being small!"

He proceeded to just lay on the elevator floor until we reached where we were going and then he ran out when the doors opened.

For some reason his words stopped me in my tracks and taught me something great about God. The exclamation of Titus did not make him think that he had no value...remember, he had a smile on his face. His words caused him to feel relieved. They caused him to feel comfort. They allowed him to run for joy off of the elevator!

So many times it has been easy for me to use the falsely pious words of, "I am nothing". For so long I thought this would lead to some form of breakthrough with God. One of the problems of this thinking is that we are made in the image of God. If we say that we are nothing, yet made in His image, we must logically being saying that He is nothing! This led me to think about how we can find proper significance.

We will only find out our true significance by focusing on Him and letting Him define who we are. After all, God even knows words before they are even on our tongue (Ps. 139). This reality should allow us to understand that He knows us infinitely better and infinitely more intimately than we will ever know ourselves! What freedom it is to "die to yourself" and understand that you will not only know yourself better (which is secondary), but you will know God relationally (which is primary) and be able to love others better.

The ability of Titus to not make a dichotomy in his thinking that his "smallness" equated with insignificance allows him to not worry about or manipulate what should happen in a day (Mt. 6) because he knows that he is cared for and loved. It also allows him to not have a hyper focus on himself.

These are a few things I have been learning from Titus because of one powerful sentence that he spoke to his Daddy.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

this is good stuff. And I love thought of your boy throwing himself on an elevator floor. I am seeing alot this "I am nothing" mentality starting to form in the people around me. I like to say we are hopeless, not nothing. We clearly exhist, so we "are". but we are hopeless whith out the relationship with our saviour. We are small...Joy! thanks for your thoughts

Anonymous said...

thanks brother.
love you guys.
-dulce