Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Introduction to a blog series on Depression

I have decided to write a blog series on depression. I am going to share a lot of my personal struggle with depressive bouts for several reasons.

1. In order to hopefully start a dialogue with others who may struggle in this area (or if you know someone who struggles with depression also).

2. To share some of the things I have learned from success and failure during my depressive states.

3. Hopefully to encourage others to never give up, no matter the difficulty.

4. For a Christian, God has given us EVERYTHING we need for life and Godliness through our knowledge of Him (2 Pet. 1:3-4). This does not mean I am against medication for people sometimes (it would be equivalent to telling a person who had a heart disease to not take something), but I do believe we live in an over medicated society that tries to find the comfort in medicine as an "end" instead of a "means". I do not personally take medication, but I just wanted to put out my stance from the very beginning.

5. Even if the clouds of depression never lift in this life, He is still worth it. I know this is tougher to live out, but I know this is the case.

I state these five things in order to give some type of frame work. On a personal level, I have struggled with depressive bouts since I was a kid. I have experienced two separate bouts of approx. 17 months a piece that it felt like "the sun would not rise. I was speaking and leading during these times, all the while feeling like the storm would never subside. I do not say these things in order to bring personal glory, but more as statements so you will know my past.

Some of you have experiences worse. Someone of you have never experienced this struggle. Either way, it is not the point of this series to "one up" one another. The point is to hopefully learn how to find God centered hope in depression and learn how to help others that have this struggle.

I have come to understand that depression is a call to worship. What the enemy intends for our destruction, is actually a way that we can worship and become filled with joy in God. This is not cruel of God, but in fact is a way to show us and the enemy that God is all sufficient in all circumstances. I pray this series will be beneficial to many and that the love of God is magnified.

Love Truth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vernon,

I look forward to reading this series as I, too, have struggled with depression. I will find it interesting to hear a christian's perspective on coming through the tough times. Awaiting your first post...

Joyce said...

I can't wait to read this blog series. As a person who has had depression for many years now, it is comforting to read others input about depression. I wanted to share a great blog that I came across, http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-dy , which offers a lot of information about treating depression.